Students who plan to transfer to the University of California (UC) system must meet certain requirements. The requirements are slightly different, based on whether you:

  • Were eligible for admission to a UC directly after high school
  • Are only now eligible through community college transfer

Transfer option 1: Eligible after high school

If you were eligible for admission to a particular UC when you graduated from high school, then you are eligible to transfer at any time if you maintain a 2.0 grade point average in transferable coursework.

Transfer option 1: Eligible through community college transfer

Meeting the subject requirement

If you met the scholarship requirement after high school – but not the subject requirement – then you must do all of the following to transfer to a UC:

  • Take transferable college courses in the missing subject areas
  • Earn a C or better in each required course
  • Have a 2.0 grade point average in all transferable coursework

Meeting the examination requirement

If you met the scholarship requirement – but not the examination requirement – then you must complete a minimum of 12 semester units of transferable work and maintain a 2.0 grade point average in transferable coursework.

Meeting the scholarship requirement

If you did not meet the scholarship requirement, then you must do the following:

  1. Complete 60 units of UC-transferable college credit with a grade point average of at least 2.4 (for California residents) or 2.8 (for non-residents)
  2. Complete the following course pattern, earning a grade of C or better in each course:1
    • Two transferable courses (3 units each) in English composition
    • One transferable course (3 units) in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning
    • Four transferable courses (3 units each) chosen from at least two of the following subject areas: the arts and humanities, the social and behavioral sciences, or the physical and biological sciences

1 Note: Students who satisfy the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum prior to transferring to UC will satisfy number 2 above.

Specific campuses and majors may require more than the minimums. See a counselor regarding the campus of your choice. By completing the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern, you will partially fulfill the 60-unit requirement for transfer to UC and complete the lower division general education breadth requirements. You should request your IGETC certification from the community college you last attended when the final transcript is sent to the UC campus. The IGETC is best if you have not yet chosen a major or a campus. Once you have selected a major, it is important to begin fulfilling any required preparatory classes for that major. This is especially true in the professional or "high unit" majors. If you are preparing for an engineering or a high-unit science major at a UC campus, it is not advisable to use the IGETC. Instead you should concentrate on fulfilling the 60-unit admission requirement by completing lower division major preparation courses as well as the basic admission requirements listed above. Helpful Hints Make regular contact with a counselor to monitor your transfer progress. Many courses other than the ones listed in the IGETC will transfer to UC. The units from those other courses will count toward the 60 units required to transfer as a junior. Check the catalog for the transfer status of any course. Although transfers do not require an associate’s degree, it is easy to complete one while preparing to transfer. View the Associate Degree Graduation Requirements. Check with the counseling staff for other courses needed for your major. In many cases, it will be to your advantage to complete all pre-major requirements as well as general education requirements before you transfer.