After you choose a certificate program, meet with your counselor regularly to make sure you are on track to complete your program. We do not automatically confer certificates because eligibility requirements vary.
Certificate of Achievement vs. Department Dertificate
Certificates of achievement require 18 or more units, while department certificates require fewer than 18 units. In addition, certificates of achievement are posted to your transcript, while department certificates are not.
Department certificates cannot be posted to a student's transcript unless they have been approved by the California Community College Chancellor’s Office, per Title 5 Regulation 55070.b.
Certificate Petition Checklist
Before you submit a petition for certification, ask yourself the following questions:
- What catalog year am I following?
Usually, students follow the current catalog year. However, if you are following certificate requirements from an old catalog, then you must have maintained catalog rights.
- Have I met (or will I meet) all of my certificate requirements with a "C" grade or better?
Remember that you must complete all certificate requirements by the end of the semester in which you petition.
- Have I taken at least 12 units toward my certificate at my home college?
This does not apply to certificates that are less than 12 units.
- Did I take classes toward my certificate at another Los Rios college?
If you have, then confirm with a counselor that those units count toward your certificate.
For the purpose of graduating or earning a certificate from any college in the Los Rios Community College District, a student who attends at least one session (whether quarter, semester, or summer) in each calendar year at any California community college, California State University, University of California, or any regionally accredited institution of higher education, may choose to meet the requirements in effect at the Los Rios college from which the student intends to graduate, as follows:
- Requirements that were in effect at the time the student was admitted to a Los Rios college
- Requirements that were in effect at the time the student originally enrolled in an accredited college
- Requirements that were in effect at the intended date of graduation from a Los Rios college
Double-Check Your Records
Make sure the following information is on file in the admissions and records office before you file a certificate petition:
- Official transcripts and approved course substitution forms (or documentation from a counselor) for units completed at a college outside of Los Rios Community College District
- Official copies of AP/IB/CLEP test scores, if applicable
- A copy of DD Form 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if you are a veteran and you want credit for military units
- List of courses in progress if you are attending another college (official transcripts will be required at the end of the semester for final degree evaluation)
- Copies of required competency tests, if applicable
Petition Filing Deadlines
- Spring 2019: Friday, March 1, 2019 (annually, the first Friday of March)
- Summer 2019: Friday, June 28, 2019 (annually, the fourth Friday of June)
- Fall 2019: Friday, October 4, 2019 (annually, the first Friday of October)
- Spring 2020: Friday, March 6, 2020 (annually, the first Friday of March)
Approval or Denial
You will be notified via email if your petition is approved or denied.
If denied, then you will be notified of the missing requirements and advised to submit a new petition. If approved, then your certificate of achievement will be posted to your transcript at the end of the semester.
We mail certificates to the address listed on your petition, unless you choose to pick up your certificate. You will be notified when your certificate is available for pick-up.
|Petition semester||Petition deadline||Approval/denial date||Mailed or ready for pick-up|
|Summer||Fourth Friday in June||Mid-November or December||Mid-February|
|Fall||First Friday in October||End of April||Mid-June|
|Spring||First Friday in March||Mid-September or October||Mid-November|
- Transfer Center
- Get a Certificate
- Get a Degree
- Graduation Ceremony
- Transfer to a Four-Year College