Gain Work Experience While You Earn College Credit
Our Work Experience Internship Program is a unique academic program where students apply what they have learned in the classroom to a work environment – all while earning college credit.
How It Works
The Work Experience Internship Program has two simultaneous parts:
- Students receive support in the internship search process
- Students enroll in a Work Experience course
Benefits for Students
Students who participate in this program:
- Get a glimpse into their chosen career field
- Acquire hands-on experience within a structured program
- Practice setting goals
- Learn how to use performance evaluations for improvement
- Develop relationships with potential future employers
- Earn academic credit while working
- Receive career guidance
To participate in the Work Experience Internship Program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least a second-semester student
- Be in good academic standing (usually with a grade point average of 2.5 or higher)
- Have a declared program of study and career goals
- Be enrolled in a Work Experience (WEXP) class
- Be willing to commit to at least one semester in a job or internship
- Be goal-oriented, motivated to learn, and good at time-management
- If you are an ESL student, then we recommend that you be at least at an intermediate level in all areas (ESL50)
As a student, you probably have questions – about how to find an internship, what types of internships qualify for the program, if your current job qualifies for the program, how WEXP units are calculated, whether those units are transferable, and so on.
To access the job board to search for internships, go to the Los Rios Single Sign-On (SSO) page.
Log in using your Los Rios Gmail and password. For your specific questions, contact us at 916-484-8182 to make an appointment.
Benefits for Employers
As valued partners of the program, employers get a direct link to over 30,000 American River College students (full-time and part-time) each spring and fall. With over 100 degrees and certificates, our students can benefit your organization by:
- Creating, developing, and completing special projects in your work environment
- Taking over tasks that free higher-level professionals for more advanced work
- Promoting closer ties between your organization, our colleges, and the greater community
- Allowing you to recruit, train, and evaluate future employees
American River College is one of the largest community colleges in California with approximately 30, 000 students. ARC offers students a variety of educational options with over 180 degree and certificate programs covering a variety of education goals – associate degrees, certificates, and/or transfer to a four-year institution.
To make this program beneficial for students, employers must commit to the following:
- Work with your intern to establish at least three specific learning objectives or tasks that can be accomplished by the end of the term and provide supervision throughout the term.
- Evaluate your intern's performance twice – once at mid-term and once at the end of the semester
- Verify the number of hours your intern works
- Meet once with the Work Experience instructor at your worksite to discuss your intern(s) performance
We strive to make these tasks as easy and efficient as possible by providing you with the necessary paperwork.
Step 1: Register with the Los Rios Community College District’s job platform, JumpStart
The first step to hiring a Los Rios student as an intern is registering with our job platform. You can register on the platform, JumpStart here: https://app.purplebriefcase.com/pb/account/login/.
Step 2: Post an internship
After you have registered on JumpStart, you can post internships. Your internship posting will be reviewed by our team, and if approved, will become visible to students. Our staff works with students to help them find internships relevant to their program of study.
Step 3: Receive student referrals and select candidates for interviews
Our staff reviews applicants and provides you with referrals for candidates to interview. It is up to you to decide which students to interview, and to set up those interviews directly with students.
Step 4: Select an intern
After you have interviewed candidates, it is up to you to select the student who best fits your needs. If you have more questions about the Work Experience and Internship program, please call us at 916-484-8182.
Work Experience and Internship Program
© American River College. All Rights Reserved.