Failure to follow these standards or comply with requests by library staff may result in removal from the library and a loss of library privileges.
Golden Rule for the LibraryTreat fellow students, library staff, and the library building with respect and consideration. Adhere to the following basic guidelines and remind other students of them when necessary.
Cell Phones/ElectronicsKeep phones on silent or vibrate. Go outside to make or receive all calls. Inside the library only two words apply: text messaging.
- Electronic Devices: Any electronic device which is audible or disturbing to others is prohibited. If you are using headphones, please make sure the sound cannot be heard by others.
NoiseThe ARC Library accommodates a variety of educational activities, including instruction, group work, and quiet study, so noise levels will necessarily vary. Library staff will enforce the following policies:
- Library Building: Throughout the building, please keep noise levels low and be respectful of those nearby. Low talking is permitted in group study rooms and in areas not designated as Silent Study Areas.
- Third Floor/Silent Study Area: The third floor is designated as a Silent Study Area; no noise or conversation is permitted here except inside group study rooms.Keep music on earphones at a level that others cannot hear.
Food and DrinkMost food and drinks are allowed. However, please remember to:
- Keep it light: Messy, greasy, odorous and/or noisy foods are not allowed in the library. Group and/or party foods (full-sized plates of food, pizza, cake, etc.) are inappropriate and not allowed.
- Dispose of everything properly: Place recyclables in recycling bins and non-recyclable garbage in trash cans.
- Leave no trace: Please leave library furnishings and resources in the same or better condition than you found them. Report any spills or trash to library staff as soon as possible.
- Note: Library personnel reserve the right to ask anyone to remove inappropriate food and drink from the library. Repeat offenders may lose library privileges.
Respect the LibraryIf you move furniture, please put it back. Do not damage library materials or furnishings. Immediately report any spillage or accidents to a service desk on the first floor.
Keep valuables and backpacks under your watchful eye at all times. Unattended items are subject to removal. Unattended food or drink may be discarded.
The library is a study space. Please go elsewhere to socialize or play games.
Respect other Library UsersHelp create a positive atmosphere in the library with your online activity and behavior. In particular, viewing disturbing images or pornography easily offends other users, as does making out in public. Those who create disturbances of any kind may be restricted in library use, or referred for disciplinary actions.
ChildrenChildren under 16 must be supervised by a parent or guardian at all times and must follow the same rules as other library users.
For information on Computer Use and Group Study Rooms please see the About the Library page.
- My Library Record
- Faculty Services