In accordance with federal regulations set forth by The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, below is a summary of consumer information that must be made available to all students at American River College (ARC). Each topic listed gives a brief description of the information that must be disclosed and explains how it can be obtained. If you need assistance obtaining information listed or you would like a paper copy, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Section 1. Information about American River College

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The security of student information is very important to us. That is why we will not discuss your records over the phone. This includes resetting your password. If you do not remember your password reset questions, you must come to the campus or one of the outreach centers in person with photo identification. To obtain a copy of your records, including your current enrollment, you must either log in to eServices or come in person with photo identification. You can also order your official transcripts online.

Student Rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Students have the right to:

  1. Inspect and review their own education records within a reasonable time after the College receives a request for access. If a student wants to review his or her record, they should contact the Vice President of Student Services for a petition. Education records include any item of information directly related to an identifiable student maintained by the District or College or required to be maintained by an employee in the performance of the employee's duties, whether that information is recorded by handwriting, print, tapes, files, microfilm, electronically or other means. Education records do not include directory information, information provided by a student's parent related to financial aid or scholarships, information prepared by and that remains in the sole possession of the person who created it; certain medical records, and decisions reached as a result of disciplinary hearings. Education records are maintained by the offices that generate or receive those records and the manager of those offices is responsible for the maintenance of those records. The Admissions and Records Office at each College maintains a log of those persons who have been given access to education records as required by FERPA.
  2. Request an amendment of their education record if a student believes it is inaccurate or misleading. If a student feels there is an error in his or her record, the student should submit a statement to the College official responsible for the record, clearly identifying the part of the record he or she wants changed and why he or she believes it is inaccurate or misleading. That office will notify the student of their decision and advise of any appropriate appeal rights.
  3. Consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. There are several exceptions which permit disclosure without consent, including but not limited to:
    • Disclosure to school officials with "legitimate educational interests." School officials are employees of the District and its colleges, agents with which the District or College has contracted with to provide services, the Board of Trustees; or students serving on a committee or assisting another school official in the performance of his or her tasks. A legitimate educational interest exists when the school official has a need to know the information in connection with his or her official duties.
    • "Directory information." Directory information is a student’s name, student identification number, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and most recent previous public or private school attended by the student. A student has the right to withhold the release of directory information. To do so, the student must complete a form, which is available from the Office of Admissions and Records. However, placing a "No Release" on a student’s records means that no one including friends, parents, prospective employers, honor societies or any other group or individual will be able to obtain this information.
    • Disclosures to officials of another school, school system, or institution of postsecondary education where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled so long as the disclosure is for the purpose related to the student’s enrollment or transfer.
  4. File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Further information about FERPA and student records can be found in the Los Rios Community College District Policy and Regulation 2265 and at the College office of the Vice President of Student Services.

Programs and Services Available to Students with Disabilities

The Disabled Student Program and Services (DSPS) provides support services to students with disabilities in an effort to ensure equal opportunity and participation at the college. For more information about the facilities and services available to students with disabilities, visit the DSPS department's website here.

Student Body Diversity

ARC regularly reports this information to the Integrated Post-secondary Education Data System (IPEDS). Follow these steps to access this information:

  • Go to the IPEDS College Navigator at
  • In the "Name of School" box type American River College Clink on the American River College link that appears.
  • For gender and race/ethnicity data, click on the Enrollments link to expand the selection
  • For information about Pell Grant recipients, expand the Financial Aid link

Gender, demographic, and other data is also available in the "Facts at a Glance" document found here.

Textbook Information

Student can access each semester's book list here. Every class in the schedule has a link to the book list. Not all classes listed require texts. Each semester's book list is posted at the same time the class schedule is made public. Book information is listed as it becomes known through the submission of book orders from faculty. The list is updated daily.

The book list is subject to substantial change prior to, and through the course of a semester. The Textbook Refund Policy is listed here.

Voter Registration Information

American River College encourages eligible students to register to vote. Students may access the California Voter Registration website by selecting "Register to Vote" from the Quick Links menu on any page. Students wishing to register via voter registration card may pick one up in the Center for Leadership and Development located in the Student Center on the Main American River College campus. The Center for Leadership and Development also organizes voter registration events periodically.

Transfer of Credit Policies and Articulation Agreement

American River College is fully accredited by the Accrediting Commission for the Community and Junior Colleges, which is part of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. All courses equivalent to university and college work are generally accepted by all WASC member colleges and most other colleges and universities in the United States. Specific information on course and/or program articulation agreements with the University of California and the California State University can be found at For Information on articulation agreements with California independent colleges, out of state colleges, and international colleges, contact the Counseling Office or American River College Transfer Center.

Withdrawal Procedures

Military withdrawal is available for students who are members of an active or reserve military service, and who receive orders compelling a withdrawal from courses. Students requesting military withdrawal must file a student petition and include supporting documentation. Medical withdrawals may be considered when supporting documentation is provided along with a student petition. The Student Petition form can be found here.

Description of Academic Programs

Upon satisfactory completion of requirements, students may earn the Associate in Arts Degree, Associate in Science Degree, Certificate of Achievement, and Certificate of Recognition. For more information about all academic programs including requirements, view the latest college catalog here, explore the Academics pages here, or go to a Counseling Office.

Instructional Facilities and Labs

The college provides the instructional, laboratory, and physical plant facilities needed to support each of its academic programs. Contact the dean for the department for specific information about the facilities and resources available to support the academic program. Departments can be found online here.


Information on the college's faculty and instructional personnel is available in American River College's catalog found here. Contact information for current faculty can be found here. For additional information, please contact the Los Rios Community College District Office of Human Services at 916-568-3112 or in person at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825.

Copyright / Piracy

ARC supports the Higher Education Opportunity Act and Digital Millennium Copyright Act, including efforts to eliminate the illegal distribution of copyrighted material. LRCCD Board Policy P-8861, developed through the consultation process, provides guidelines to students, faculty and staff to assist in compliance with federal copyright laws. More information on copyright and piracy can be viewed here.

Constitution Day Information

In order to comply with the federal regulation requiring the development of educational programming to celebrate Constitution Day on September 17th of each year, American River College's Office of Student Life provides faculty, students, and staff with access to U.S. Constitution Day educational resources, movies, toolkits, and free pocket size U.S. Constitution books.

Section 2. Overview of Financial Aid Programs

Overview of Financial Aid Program

American River College has a full array of Title IV programs and California State Programs. Financial assistance may include: grants, loans, federal work-study, ARC Foundation scholarships, as well as privately supported scholarships.

Contact Information for Obtaining Financial Aid Assistance

Prospective or enrolled students who have questions about obtaining financial aid should contact the American River College Financial Aid Office at (916) 484-8437 (main campus), . Office hours can be found here.

Need Based and Non Need Based Federal and State Financial Aid

American River College has a full array of aid programs. Some are need based and some are non need based as determined by the information provided and verified on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the ARC Foundation Scholarship Application.

How Eligibility for Need Based Aid is Determined and How Need Based Aid is Awarded

Students are packaged for financial aid (given financial aid from several of the programs for which a student is eligible) based on the student's financial need. Financial need is determined by a student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) (computed from information provided on the FAFSA) as compared to ARC's Cost of Attendance (COA). Those who have a positive number remaining after the EFC is subtracted from the Cost of Attendance may qualify for some need based aid sources. To meet with federal regulations, ARC defines the neediest students as those whose EFC = $0.

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

If you enroll in a Los Rios Community College District sponsored study abroad program, you may apply for financial aid through the ARC Financial Aid Office. You will be considered for all aid programs [Pell Grant, Cal Grant (California Residents), BOGW (California Residents), Foundation Scholarships, and Loans] except Federal Work-Study.

Depending on the cost of your study abroad program, the financial aid you receive may or may not meet your full demonstrated financial need. To make up the gap between your aid and the cost of your program, you may want to apply for a private scholarship or an alternative loan. Please also contact the Study Abroad Office here about application procedures and deadlines. You are responsible for making any payments for the program by the appropriate deadlines.

How and When Financial Aid Will be Distributed

There are two financial aid disbursements per semester. The Financial Aid Office disburses funds every Friday. In order to received disbursements, a student must select their preferences with BankMobile. For more information of specific dates of distribution by semester, visit the Financial Aid Dates and Deadlines website.

Financial Aid Fraud

On November 5, 2000, Congress passed the College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act of 2000 (CSFPA). The CSFPA enhances protection against fraud in student financial assistance by establishing stricter sentencing guidelines for criminal financial aid fraud. It also charged the Department, working in conjunction with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), with implementing national awareness activities, including a scholarship fraud awareness site on the ED Web site. According to the FTC, perpetrators of financial aid fraud often use these telltale lines:

  • The scholarship is guaranteed or your money back.
  • You can't get this information anywhere else.
  • I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship.
  • We'll do all the work.
  • The scholarship will cost some money.
  • You've been selected by a 'national foundation' to receive a scholarship' or ‘You're a finalist,' in a contest you never entered.

To file a complaint, or for free information, students or parents should call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357) or visit:

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education's central database for student financial aid records. Federal loans disbursed to students or parents will be submitted to NSLDS and will be accessible by guarantee agencies, lenders, and institutions determined to be authorized users of the data system. Student and parent borrowers can track and manage their federal student loans and grants online at The secured site displays information on loans and grants, including amounts, outstanding balances and status. Student and parent borrowers can also find contact information for their loan servicer.

Terms and Conditions of Direct Loan Deferments

Information regarding the various deferments available to student and parent loan borrowers is available at the Department of Education web site - under "Managing Repayment" and click on "Trouble Making Payments?"

Terms of Loans Received, Repayment Schedules and Repayment

Generally, borrowers will have 10 to 25 years to repay their loan, depending on the repayment plan they choose. The loan servicer will notify the borrower of the date the first payment is due. If a repayment plan is not chosen by the borrower, the borrower will be placed on the standard repayment plan, with fixed monthly payments for up to 10 years. Repayment plans can be changed at any time by contacting the loan officer. Information about standard repayment, extended repayment, graduated repayment, income contingent repayment (not available for parent PLUS loans), and income-based repayment can be found at under "Managing Repayment". Click "Repayment Plans & Calculators".

Loan Entrance Counseling

The Federal Government requires first-time student borrowers to complete loan entrance counseling to ensure that the student borrower understands the responsibilities and obligations they are assuming. In order to provide the required comprehensive information on the terms and conditions of the loan and the borrower's responsibilities, first-time student loan borrowers at American River College are required to complete entrance counseling. For a schedule of loan entrance counseling workshops, click here.

Private Educational Loan Disclosures

Any student applying for a private education loan at American River College must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) with the school in order to ensure that all available waivers and grants are available to the student, as well as to encourage students to make use of low-interest loans available through the Department of Education (subsidized if eligible). Student borrowers at ARC are counseled to compare the terms and conditions of Department of Education loans with the terms and conditions of private education loans to determine the more favorable borrowing option.

Upon request, American River College will provide the self-certification form for private education loans required under Sec. 128(e)(3) of the Truth in Lending Act (15 U.S.C. 1638(e)(3) and the information required to complete the form, to the extent that Folsom College possesses the information.

Section 3: Information Regarding Student Outcomes

Graduation, Transfer and Retention Rates

American River College regularly reports this information to the Integrated Post-secondary Education Data System (IPEDS). Follow these steps to access this information:

  • Go to the IPEDS College Navigator at
  • In the "Name of School" box type American River College
  • Click on the American River College link that appears.
  • Click on the Retention and Graduation Rates link to expand the selection.

Graduation and Retention Rates for Student Athletes

Graduation and retention rates must be provided to student-athletes, their parents, high school coaches, and guidance counselors when an athletically related student aid offer is made. American River College does not offer financial aid to students based on athletic ability. For information on graduation and retention rates or student success programs for student-athletes, please contact the Athletic Director at 916-608-6687.

Equity in Athletics Disclosure

As part of federally mandated Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act, information on annual participation rates and financing of men's and women's sports in intercollegiate athletic programs is available by request to students and the general public. For more information or to receive a copy of the report, contact the Athletic Department, American River College, 10 College Parkway, Folsom, CA 95630 or you can find the data online:

Section 4: Information Regarding Health and Safety

Campus Safety and Security

Clery Act

Each year, we publish the annual Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Report (Annual Clery Report), which includes information about our safety and security policies and specific crime statistics for our main campus and outreach centers.

Emergency Notifications

In the event of a serious crime on campus – and especially if the suspects are at large and a potential risk to our employees, students, and guests – we issue timely warnings. Students and employees are alerted by campus-wide email as well as notices posted on building entrances. Additional information, including the daily crime log, can be found on the Los Rios Police Department website.

Drug- and Alcohol-Free Workplace

The unlawful manufacturing, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of illicit drugs and alcohol is prohibited in the workplace and on college premises. Students, faculty and staff that violate this policy may be subject to discipline up to and including termination or expulsion, and may also face civil and/or criminal penalties. The abuse of alcohol and drugs can have serious health consequences and there are Local Counseling and Rehabilitation Program references available as well.

Read district policy P-2443 Drug and Alcohol-Free Workplace and College Premises (PDF) for more information.

Emergency Response and Evacuation Procedures

Learn about emergency response and evacuation procedures on the Los Rios District Police Department website.

Discrimination and Harassment Complaint Procedures

View information on student concerns or complaints (including, but not limited to, equity, sexual harassment, Title IX, 504, ADA). In addition to complaints being filed by students or employees, complaints may be initiated by other individuals or entities, such as a family member, representative, organization, or other third party wishing to file on behalf of an individual or group alleged to have suffered unlawful discrimination or harassment. The Los Rios District has an official form. However, while complainants should be encouraged to use the form, the form is not required and complaints shall not be considered defective or rejected based on the failure to file the complaint on the form. View the full District regulation (2423).