WAC Mission, Philosophy, and Approach
- The mission of the WAC program is to help students become better writers and develop better attitudes about writing.
- We provide a comfortable learning environment that reinforces the importance of the writing process.
- Learning to write well takes time.
- Writing is a complex process that often requires practice and feedback from experienced writers.
- Writing instruction that is individualized and collaborative is often highly effective.
- Good writing often emerges when students feel part of a community of learners.
- The ultimate goal of our program is to develop self-reliant writers.
- A friendly, collaborative approach to engaging students in their writing process is the best way to promote long term confidence and success.
- Listening to students is essential to helping them grow as writers.
- Students need guidance in finding their own solutions rather than being provided answers.
- Writing conferences that lead to revision empower student writers across all disciplines.
- Students become better writers by focusing on the process of writing.
- Grammar instruction should not be overemphasized or replace instruction about more important higher-order writing concerns.