Click here to Skip to main content
AskARC Logo
Veterans Services Title Banner


Educational Benefits


The Veterans Resource Center staff does not determine eligibility for education benefits. All students that feel they may be eligible should apply or contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 or

"GI Bill®" is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at"

Forever GI Bill - Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act

Click here for an overview of the changes that are being implemented to the GI Bill.


Post-9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. This benefit provides up to 36 months of full time educational benefits and is generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. Based on the length of service, eligible individuals are entitled to a percentage of the benefit. This benefit offers some Servicemembers the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill to their dependents.  **If the Veteran discharged on or after January 1, 2013, then they fall under the Forever GI Bill and the 15-year time limit is eliminated.** For more information on the Chapter 33 benefit and its components, click here.


Post-9/11 Transfer of Entitlement Program

The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows eligible Servicemembers to transfer all 36 months or a portion of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits (unless DoD or the Department of Homeland Security has limited the number of transferable months). The Department of Defense (DoD) determines whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family. Upon approval, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with VA by completing the VA Form 22-1990e. VA Form 22-1990e should only be completed and submitted to the VA by the family member after DoD has approved the request of the transfer of education benefits. If you're eligible, you may transfer benefits to the following individuals:


The option to transfer is open to any member of the armed forces active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and meets the following criteria:






For more information on eligibility requirements and the transfer process, click here.

View the official DoD website for information on transferability.


Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Children and surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001 can receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level.



Surviving spouse:   


Some dependents currently eligible for or already receiving benefits under the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program, may now be eligible for the Fry Scholarship. In most situations, beneficiaries are not able to use the same qualifying event for more than one benefit and may be required to make an irrevocable election between the DEA program and Fry Scholarship.

For more Fry Scholarship information, please click here. 


Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - Chapter 30

The MGIB-AD benefit may be available to Servicemembers who have at least two years of active duty and contributed money to their GI Bill. This benefit provides up to 36 months of educational benefits and is generally payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. For additional Chapter 30 eligibility benefit information, click here.


Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - Chapter 1606

The MGIB-SR benefit may be available to anyone who is currently fulfilling a 6-year obligation to a branch of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserve, in addition to the Army National Guard and Air National Guard. You must have completed initial active duty training (IADT) and remain in good standing while serving. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of full time education benefits. Your eligibility for the program normally ends the day you leave the Selected Reserve. For more information on the Chapter 1606 benefit, please click here.


Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment - Chapter 31

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment services may be available to those Servicemembers with a service-connected disability. Upon approval, you must meet with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor who will help to select a plan to address your educational needs. To apply and receive more information on the Chapter 31 benefit, please click here.

Need a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor?

Call 916-484-8377 to schedule an appointment.

Please meet with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor for authorization (VA form 28-1905).


Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) - Chapter 35

Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) program may be available to anyone that is a child (between ages 18 and 26, with some exceptions) or spouse of a Veteran who is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition; or who died in service; or who died of a service-connected disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA. **As of August 1, 2018, maximum months of benefits have been reduced from 45 months to 36 months.  If benefit was used prior to August 1, 2018, then dependent is still eligible for 45 months of benefit.** For more information on the Chapter 35 benefit, please click here.




For additional handouts, brochures and regulations, including pamphlets and educational forms from the Department of Veterans Affairs click here.