How Tutoring Works
If you are enrolled in a course at ARC and need assistance, the Tutorial Center provides the following options: drop-in, individual appointment and online tutoring. We do NOT assist with courses taken at any other Los Rios campus or other college/university.
- Read the What to Expect webpage.
- In order to provide you with tutoring services, you must have completed the online registration/referral, form prior to receiving services. See our information for online tutoring HERE.
- When you register for tutoring, you will automatically be enrolled in LRC 1000: supervised tutoring; a no fee, no grade, no credit course.
- Read the Tutee Duties (PDF).
- All tutoring services will take place in the Tutorial Center located inside the Learning Resource Center (LRC).
- You will need your Los Rios Student Access Card when you come to tutoring.
*Please Note: The staff will do their best to find a tutor; however there is no guarneetee a tutor will be available.
Fall 2018 Tutoring Session: August 27 - December 13
Monday - Thursday: 8:00a.m. - 8:00p.m.
Friday: 8:00a.m. - 4:30p.m.
Closed the following holidays:
Monday, September 3 (Labor Day)
Monday, November 12 (Veterans Day)
November 22 & 23 (Thanksgiving)
- Check the posted schedule under the Drop In Tutoring link or the main counter.
- We offer drop-in tutoring for subjects in high demand.
- You may receive help on a first-come basis at any time during the posted hours. Drop-in tutors have fixed schedules.
- Drop-in tutoring is for quick questions, and periods of time when you work through the material on your own. Drop-in tutoring is not designed to be an in-depth private tutoring session.
- Drop-in tutors work with more than one student at a time. Waiting times may vary depending on the time of day and busier peek hours, generally 11a-2p are busier hours.
- When you arrive to the center, you will need to use your Student Access Card to check yourself in and out at the tutoring counter.
- When you have a question, you need to add yourself to the electronic queue system (ask counter staff for instructions).
- Please be aware that tutors cannot help you with special projects, extra credit, take-home quizzes or homework problems.
Drop-in tutoring starts Monday, September 10
Bring your Student Access Card to each session and use it to check in and out at the tutoring counter.
Individual Appointment Tutoring
- Contact the Tutorial Center to request an appointment. If we have a tutor for your course, you can schedule appointments according to the tutor's availability.
- You may schedule appointments two weeks in advance, upon availability; however, you must schedule the appointments at least 24 hours in advance. Please note that you may not schedule appointments that are more than 2 consecutive hours long. Additionally, you may have up to 2 hours of appointments, per subject.
- If your tutor is not in the center when you arrive for your appointment, check with the staff at the counter. Please wait at least 10 minutes past the appointment time before you leave.
- You must call to notify the center if you are running late (916-484-8808). Tutors are allowed to leave after 10 minutes into the appointment time.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, call or stop by the Tutorial Center at least 24 hours in advance. If you are not on campus, call the Tutorial Center at (916) 484-8808. If you don't call or notify the center, this is considered "an absence." Please note that if you have three "absences," the tutor may drop you from his or her schedule and you may lose appointment privileges for the remainder of the term. Please help us, help you.
Recurring Appointment Tutoring
- Recurring weekly appointments are set for the term: same day, same time, same place.
- You may only select one course per term for your recurring appointment . For example, if you need help with English, Math and Spanish but Math is the most challenging, we recommend you choose Math for the recurring appointment . You are still eligible to receive tutoring for the other subjects (English and Spanish); however these appointments will need to be booked as regular individual appointments (see above).
- Recurring appointments are limited; apply early in the term to increase your chances of finding a tutor that meets your schedule.
- There is no guarantee that a tutor will be available per your request; it depends on the number of tutors available for your subject and/or the department's budget constraints.
- If you cannot attend a session, you are responsible for notifying the tutor directly at least 24 hours in advance. Missed appointments cannot be rescheduled.
- For more information please contact the Coordinator, Araceli Badilla, via email: BadillA@arc.losrios.edu
1. For more information on the different online tutoring options, go to the Online Tutoring webpage.