Click here to Skip to main content
AskARC Logo
Transfer Center



UC General Education

General education requirements are designed to give UC undergraduates a broad background in all major academic discipline. Each school and college at every UC campus has its own general education requirement. ARC students also have the option of following the IGETC pattern. Certain students, however, will not be well served by following IGETC. Students who intend to transfer into majors that require extensive lower-division preparation, such as engineering or the physical and natural sciences, should concentrate on completing the many prerequisites for the major that the college screens for to determine eligibility for admission. Meet with a Counselor to determine which GE option is best for you.

There are two ways you can satisfy general education requirements:

  1. UC campus-specific requirements: Each school and college at every UC campus has its own set of general education classes.
  2. Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a series of courses certified by the California community college you may complete in order to satisfy the freshman/sophomore level general education requirements at UC.


Should I use IGETC for my major?

IGETC Worksheets


Students who plan to transfer in low-unit majors (i.e., non-STEM majors) are encouraged to complete & have certified the IGETC pattern above.

California community colleges may grant partial certification of IGETC to students who are missing no more than two requirements. Students submitting partial IGETC certification should complete the missing requirements at either UC or a California community college as designated by their department. Students who have been granted partial IGETC certification should not return to the community college for a full certification.

Make an appointment with a Counselor for GE certification

Many campuses request GE certification as a requisite to register for classes and graduate in a timely manner.