Click here to Skip to main content
AskARC Logo
Transfer Center Banner


Transfer Terminology

Advanced Placement (AP) is an exam that students can take and receive college credit. Credit is determined by the college, school, or major at the UC campus that the student transfers to.

When a decision is rendered, on a petition, not in the favor of a student, the student provides additional documentation to the deciding party to receive a review for a favorable decision.

This is information about coursework from one college that indicates whether or not a course transfers to a specific university, and usually determines if that coursework is equivalent to either major requirements, general education requirements, and/or elective credit.

A website that has articulation information between the community colleges and specific campuses of the University of California (UC) and the California State Universities (CSU).

The diploma awarded to an undergraduate that has completed all of the graduation requirements.

Each college/university has a catalog that provides information specific to their college. The information contained in the catalog covers policies, procedures, majors, course descriptions, college resources, general education requirements etc. for academic and non-academic affairs.

California Community College

Repeating a course where a "D", "F", or "No Credit" (NC) was earned. A Withdraw ("W") is not considered a repetition.

California State University General Education (GE) specifies courses which satisfy certain areas of lower division general education and required for admission and/or graduation from a California State University. You may obtain a GE sheet at the Transfer Center, Counseling, or from your counselor.

GE certification
is done by Admissions and Records and can be requested when you request your official transcripts on the Transcript Request form. IGETC certification requires a counseling appointment (it is NOT automatic) and is usually done the semester prior to transfer. After it is written, the IGETC certification is processed and sent to Admissions and Records where it can be requested when you request your official transcript on the Transcript Request form. Please remember that IGETC certification is not for all majors at UC. Ask your counselor if IGETC is the correct pattern for you to follow.

A broad introduction to a variety of subjects outside a specific major; also known as survey courses.

Golden Four
Four specific areas (area A, sections 1,2, and 3; and area B, section 4) on the CSU GE sheet that must be fulfilled before you will be accepted by a California State University.

Grade Point Average (GPA) in education is the process of applying standardized measurements of varying levels of achievement in coursework.
Grades are generally assigned as letters (generally A-F), which are assigned points (A=4. B=3,C=3,D=1,F=0). Grade point is calculated by multiplying the points by the unit value of the course. To calculate grade point average (GPA) you divide the grade points by the units attempted.

International Baccalaureate (IB) is an exam whereby a student can receive unit credit.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) specifies courses which satisfy certain areas of lower division general education, in certain majors, required for admission and/or graduation for most CSU's, UC's, and some private colleges.

A term used to describe courses that are usually taught the freshman or sophomore year of college and are general in content. California Community Colleges can only teach lower-division courses.

Lower division courses that are required as foundation information for upper division coursework. These courses are often comprised from a variety of departments. For example, engineering students are required to complete lower division courses in physics, chemistry, and math.

A specific course of study that is the focus of the undergraduate degree emphasizing one specific discipline.

Additional coursework in a specific discipline other than the declared major, usually related to the major, but not always.

The ability to ask for, in writing, a special exception to a specified rule or policy.

The division of the academic year into four equal parts.  In the UCs, three-quarters constitute an academic year, with summer school considered an optional "quarter".

When a UC campus cannot admit all the eligible applicants, it applies standards that identify high academic achievers with other qualities that can contribute to the strength and diversity of the individual UC campus community.

The division of the academic year into two equal parts. Summer school considered an optional "semester".

When completing a course after the maximum units allowable for transfer, a student can earn credit for completion of the specific subject, yet receive no additional units or credits.

Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) is a program that assists students at participating community colleges in transferring to certain UC campuses.

Transfer Alliance Program (TAP) is a program that requires a rigorous honors/scholars program at a community college for transfer as a junior into certain UC campuses.

A Transferable Course Agreement (TCA) document is published by the University of California (UC) for every California Community College that determines the transferability of all courses from that community college.

University of California

A specific measure of value ascribed to satisfactory completion a course of study. Sometimes referred to as credits or hours.

A category of study at the undergraduate level that is more narrow in focus than lower division study. These courses are usually taught in the junior and senior years, and encompass most of the major.

Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) is the accrediting agency for all CSU's, UCs and California Community Colleges.