Click here to Skip to main content
AskARC Logo
Transfer Center Banner


Dream Act

In accordance with AB 540, students other than nonimmigrant persons with valid visas who attended a California high school for a minimum of three years and graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent, may be eligible for an exemption from the nonresident tuition fee. Students without lawful immigration status are required to file an affidavit to verify that they have filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as they are eligible to do so. Students who are nonimmigrant persons with valid visas (e.g., F-visa holders or B-visa holders) are not eligible for this AB 540 exemption. To qualify for the AB 540 waiver, students must fill out the AB 540 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request form and provide a copy of their official transcripts to the Admissions and Records Office.

Financial Aid for AB 540 Students
The recently passed California Dream Act, comprising new state laws AB 130 and AB 131, have extended eligibility for certain types of institutional and state aid to students, including undocumented students, who qualify for nonresident tuition exemption under AB 540. Eligible students will be able to receive the BOG Fee Waiver starting January 1, 2013 and will be able to receive the Cal Grant beginning Fall 2013 term. To learn more about the California Dream Act, please visit the California Student Aid Commission's website.

California Promise Grant Application for AB540 Students (Use this application to apply for a registration fee waiver if you are an AB540 student under the California Dream Act.)

Please review The California Dream Act: A Financial Aid Guide for Undocumented Students. This guide is a comprehensive resource for students, parents and educators navigating the California Dream Act application. This guide covers basic information, eligibility requirements, detailed information on grants, application steps and frequently asked questions.

EOP&S and CARE Eligibility for AB 540 Students
As of January 1, 2013, California Dream Act students (AB 540) may be eligible to receive services from the EOP&S and CARE programs. Prior to applying for these programs, students must first apply for the AB 540 exemption through the Admissions and Records office and also apply for the "Special California Promise Grant Application" in the financial aid office. Once a student is determined eligible for AB 540 and the California Promise Grant , the student must then submit an application for the EOP&S program to determine eligibility for EOP&S services. Students who are eligible for California Dream Act must meet each of the following criteria in order to participate in the EOP&S program:

· Must be eligible for AB 540 as determined by Admissions and Records Office

· Must be eligible for the BOG Fee Waiver as determined by Financial Aid Office

· Must have less than 45 degree-applicable units completed

· Must demonstrate an educational disadvantage as determined by EOP&S application

• Must be a full-time student (12+ units) each fall and spring semester

In addition to the information listed above, students interested in applying for CARE must meet the following criteria:
· Must qualify for EOP&S

· Must have at least one child under the age of 14

· Must be a single head of household

• Must be a participant in TANF/CalWORKs

Resources for Students and Families: 
Dream Act FAQs

About Financial Aid 

California Dream Act of 2011 - Assembly Bill 130 (AB 130) and Assembly Bill 131 (AB 131)