Click here to Skip to main content
AskARC Logo


In-Class Support Services


American River College has a long history of providing quality support services to students with a disability. Support services provided include: Sign Language Interpreters, Real-Time Captioners, and In-class Aide (i.e. Notetakers). We also have a limited number of assistive listening devices and tape recorders. 

Support Services

Requests for support services must be made through the DSPS office by completing a Letter of Accommodation Request form. Letter of Accommodation Request forms are available at the front counter in the DSPS office. 

Interpreters and Real-Time Captioners are also available for class related assignments such as: orientation meetings, tutoring sessions, meetings with instructors, and other college related activities.

In-Class Support Services Specialist: Mike Warner

VIDEOPHONE (with Translation to Voice available):  916-993-3087




 Helpful Tips for Students requesting In-Class Support Services


American River College welcomes you as a student this semester. We are here to assist you in your educational goals. Please read the following responsibilities:

Please tell In-Class Support Services located in DSPS office when:



Interpreters help to communicate what the instructor and students are saying. Often, the interpreters need to sit in front of the classroom to hear the instructor clearly.


The captioners will give you the full lecture notes. The notes will be put in your folder at DSPS. If you do not show up for class, you will not be given the notes from that day. Also, if you leave the class early, the captioner will not stay in the class. Please do not give your notes to other students from the class. These notes are for you and you only. The notes will be given to you within the following time frame:
Note Turn-Around Time:
Class Days Due to you by:

MWF Next class time
TTH Tue by TH/TH by Fri
Mon at the latest Mon by Wed

Wednesday by Friday
Tuesday by Thursday
Thursday by Monday
Friday by Tuesday


Please call In-Class Support Services at (916) 993-3087 or e-mail: for Interpreter/RTC services and/or In-class Aide services if you are not going to be in class.

If you do not show up for a class, your Interpreters/ RTC and, or In-Class Aide and will wait 15 minutes for an hour class and 30 minutes for classes over an hour.

Two "NO SHOWS" in a row for a class or tutoring session and you do not inform, call or email In-Class Support Services; services such as Sign Language Interpreting, Real Time Captioning or In-class Aide will be temporarily discontinued for that class. If you would like services reinstated, you MUST schedule an appointment to meet with a DSPS Counselor/Coordinator to discuss student responsibilities and your academic progress.  Please note that if services are reinstated, the same provider may or may not be available, so a replacement provider may be scheduled.







A deaf student has the right to request an interpreter for tests and quizzes. The interpreter never provides assistance answering the questions.


Real-Time Captioners can input what the instructors and students are saying into their computers. Real-Time Captioners need to be seated near an electrical outlet. They will bring in the necessary computer equipment. The students(s) must sit next to the Real-Time Captioners so they can read the computer screen and follow the lecture. The full lecture (including student comments) will be printed and given to the deaf student(s) in a timely manner.


Visual Aids are a tremendous help to deaf students. Make full use of dry erase boards, film projectors, films, diagrams, and printed materials. If possible, write key vocabulary on the board or overhead projector. Words such as here, there, these, this one, etc. which do not identify the actual article or subject do not translate well. Using words such as: the box, the square, the color, etc. is a much more visual cue.


Notetakers are often necessary, because Deaf Students must constantly watch the interpreter.

Notetakers may be fellow students from the class, who are volunteers; or people from outside of the class, who are paid by DSPS. If you have a suggestion for an appropriate notetaker, please let the student know and the student will explain the process. If we are unable to obtain a notetaker from the class, In-Class Support Services will attempt to provide notetaking services.

Tutors will be provided upon request through In-Class Support Services.
TESTS: As an academic adjustment/accommodation, the deaf student may require extended time for written tests. Our office is available to proctor tests if requested. The student should meet with their counselor to discuss specific accommodations. If the student needs to take the test/quiz outside the classroom, their counselor needs to fill out a proctor form that requires your signature. Once the form is filled out, the student will return the form to DSPS. DSPS will be more than happy to answer any questions regarding testing accommodations.

Instructors please be advised: If the student has two consecutive unexcused absences, support services will be suspended for that class. Deaf students must contact DSPS in order for services to be reinstated. The Interpreters and Real Time Captioners working in your classroom should not have access to personal information regarding the student or their progress in their classes. If you have any questions, please call In-Class Support Services at Mike Warner –Student Personnel Assistant –  (916) 993-3087.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) from Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing Students

Q: Is there housing close to the college?
A: We do not have dorms on campus. However, there are apartments close by. Housing information and a roommate bulletin board are in the Associate Students Office located in the Student Center building at ARC.

Q: Do you have special classes for Deaf Students?
A: No, we do not currently have special classes. However, we do provide support services for mainstream classes.

Q: How much does attending ARC cost?
A: Please visit the Los Rios Enrollment and Tuition Fees site to obtain the most current cost to attend ARC.  If you receive SSI, you may be eligible for a fee waiver, please visit the Financial Aid office for more information on fee waivers and financial assistance.

Q: What academic/vocational programs are available?
A: Please see the ARC catalog.

Q: How do I register for classes?
A: First, make an appointment with the In-Class Support Services counselor, Dana Brittingham-Garrido to discuss specifics pertaining to academic/vocational classes. At that time, you may also request support services. You can go to e-Services located in the Student Center, or visit the ARC e-Services website.