MATH and STAT Prerequisite Information
Beginning with Summer 2012, high school coursework will no longer satisfy prerequisites for Mathematics courses at ARC.
As of November 10, 2011, a printout from ARC's Self-Assessment in Math (SAM) will no longer allow you to place into any ARC math courses, even if the printout was made or the Self-Assessment was completed before that date. See below for further explanation.
If you have a high school transcript or a printout from SAM that you were planning to use to satisfy the prerequisite for a math course in Spring 2012 (or later), you will have to replace it with one of the following:
- Los Rios transcript(s) that shows you passed the prerequisite course(s)
- Please present a copy to your instructor on the first day of class
- Any other college transcript(s) that shows you passed the prerequisite course(s)
- If transcripts are not from Los Rios, you must have it approved by an ARC counselor before the start of the semester. Contact the Counseling Center at 484-8572 for available appointment or drop-in times, or click here for more information.
- A placement test result from a Los Rios college
- Click here for information about completing the placement test at ARC's Assessment Center
- A prerequisite/placement slip from an ARC counselor
|Note: If you have already taken a math course within Los Rios, or if you have ANY recent college transcript with a math course on it, then you should choose your next math course based on the results of that course.
Further explanation: We have been forced to discontinue use of high school transcripts and ARC's Self-Assessment in Math (SAM) due to reductions in our course offerings. Because of the deep cuts in the number of sections that we can offer, it's more important than ever to make sure that our students are in the courses where they belong and can demonstrate the best likelihood for success. There was always a chance that some students could misuse or misunderstand the information that they got from SAM and could potentially enroll in inappropriate courses. With improved placement accuracy, students are more likely to successfully complete Mathematics coursework. We're very sorry for any confusion or inconvenience the changes in our prerequisite policy might cause.
STAT 300 Prerequisite Information
The prerequisite for STAT 300 is a 'C-' or better in an intermediate algebra course, or placement by an assessment test. You need to verify completion of the prerequisite before you can enroll.
- If you earned a 'C-' or better in MATH 120, MATH 124, MATH 125, MATH 129, or MATH 133 at a Los Rios college, you should be able to enroll.
- If you earned a 'C-' or better in another Los Rios math course that has Intermediate Algebra as a prerequisite, you should be able to enroll.
- If you are currently enrolled in MATH 120, MATH 124, MATH 125, MATH 129, or MATH 133 at a Los Rios college, you should be able to enroll. But if you do not finish the course with a 'C-' or better, you will be automatically dropped from STAT 300 before the new semester begins.
- If you have taken an assessment test at any Los Rios college that placed you in STAT 300, you should be able to enroll. Assessment tests are only for students who have not already taken a Los Rios math course.
- Prior enrollment in STAT 300 or STAT 301 does not satisfy the prerequisite. Please keep reading for other options.
Otherwise, here are your options:
1. If you have completed Intermediate Algebra (or higher level) course at another college and can provide a transcript:
- Please make an appointment to see an ARC counselor. Contact the counseling department at 484-8572 for available appointment or drop-in times, or click here for more information.
- When you come to your appointment, bring a copy of the transcript that shows your Intermediate Algebra course, and a copy of the course description (probably available from your other college's website, catalog or list of course offerings).
2. If you have completed an Intermediate Algebra (or higher level) course at another college, but cannot provide a transcript:
- You might be able to place into STAT 300 by taking ARC's assessment test, the COMPASS. You will have to take the test in our assessment center. You can get more information at 484-8423, or click here for more information.
3. If you are currently enrolled in an Intermediate Algebra course at another college:
- You can wait until you complete your course and your grade has been posted, and then bring it to an appointment with a counselor.
- Or, you can take ARC's assessment test whenever you think you are ready.
You are NOT eligible to enroll in STAT 300 if:
- you have never taken an Intermediate Algebra course
- your most recent grade in Intermediate Algebra is a "D" or an "F"
- an assessment test has placed you in Intermediate Algebra (or any lower course)
For all other courses:
- You should plan to provide proof of passing prerequisite courses during the first few days of class. Prerequisites are listed in the course descriptions that are available online or at eServices. Check whether your course has any prerequisites, and be sure that you have met the prerequisites for your courses before enrolling.