New Transfer Students
Steps to Success for New Transfer Students
Congratulations on your decision to attend ARC! If you have completed courses at another college, below are your Steps to Success:
- Apply - If you have not yet done so, enrollment at ARC begins by submitting an application online at www.arc.losrios.edu. Applications for fall and summer terms are accepted beginning February 1st; applications for spring are accepted beginning September 10th. After you apply, you will receive a "Welcome" email that includes your student ID number which you will need in order to complete the remaining steps below.
- Complete Orientation - New student orientation is offered online and you may do this from any computer. A link to the Online Orientation is provided in the "Welcome" email you receive after submitting your application. You may complete the online orientation the day after you receive the welcome email with your Los Rios student ID number. We can offer assistance with this step on the ARC main campus in the Center for Leadership & Development located in the Student Center.
- Determine if you must take the assessments - If you have successfully completed English and/or Math courses with a "C" or better at another college, you may be exempt from taking one or both assessments. A counselor can help you determine if you meet the exemption criteria. If you need to take one or both assessments, click here for the current testing calendar. Be sure to review the sample questions before you take any assessment! Please note: If you have not earned a "C" or better in math or English, you must take the corresponding assessment(s). Assessment results from non Los Rios colleges are not accepted.
- Meet with a Counselor to Create an Educational Plan - Schedule an appointment or stop by the Counseling Center for a drop-in appointment to meet with a counselor. You will develop a student educational plan (iSEP) and discuss your needs and goals. It is critical that you bring a transcript from each school you have attended to this appointment (unofficial copies are acceptable for initial planning purposes). Click here for more information about Counseling Center hours and services.
- Register for Classes - If you qualify for priority registration, you may enroll online at your scheduled priority registration time or anytime thereafter. Log into your eServices account and look for your assigned day and time in the box labeled Enrollment Appointment. During the open enrollment period you may enroll at any time.
- Pay Enrollment Fees or Apply for BOG Fee Waiver - Fees are due at the time of enrollment. You may pay online by credit card or by cash or check in Business Services. The Board of Governors (BOG) fee waiver assists many students with fees and federal financial aid can help with other school related expenses. It is important that financial aid matters are handled as early as possible. If you need financial assistance, please do not wait until you complete the enrollment steps above before applying. It is important to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Financial Aid) as soon as you have made the decision to enroll in college. Click here for more information about Financial Aid. Please note that students who have obtained an associate degree or higher may not be eligible for federal financial aid. Check Satisfactory Progress Policy on financial aid website for more information.
Note: Steps 1 thru 4 must be completed by April 1st for summer and fall enrollment or November 1st for spring enrollment in order to receive an earlier priority registration date. After these dates, it is still important to complete all steps in order to receive priority registration in future semesters.
Non Degree/Non Certificate
Although it is strongly recommended, if you are not seeking a degree or certificate at ARC, you are not required to complete steps 3 & 4 (take assessments and develop an educational plan). Students who do not complete these steps are not eligible for future priority enrollment.