MATH and STAT Prerequisite Information
What is a prerequisite?
It is the intent of American River College to guide students into courses in which they will have the greatest chance for academic success. Therefore, you will find courses that have prerequisites, corequisites or advisories in their description. Prerequisites are courses that students are required to pass prior to enrollment in a particular course. You can see what the prerequisites are for a course when viewing that course in your eServices account, or by checking the ARC College Catalog.
Math Prerequisite Information
- You will need to verify successful completion of the prerequisite before you can enroll.
- If you earned a 'C' or better in the prerequisite course at a Los Rios college, you should be able to enroll.
- If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite course at a Los Rios college, you should be able to enroll - but if you do not finish the course with a 'C' or better, you will be automatically dropped before the term begins.
- If you have taken an assessment test or self-placement tool at any Los Rios college that placed you into the math class, you should be able to enroll. Placement is only for students who have not already taken a Los Rios math course.
Otherwise, here are your options:
1. If you have completed a course equivalent to the prerequisite at another college and can provide a transcript:
Please contact the ARC Admissions and Records Services office at 484-8261 or click for more Admissions and Records information and links to the Prerequisite Equivalency Form and the LRCCD External Equivalency List. If your equivalent course is not listed, you may submit the Prerequisite Equivalency Form directly to the ARC Math Department.
2. If you have completed an equivalent prerequisite course at another college, but cannot provide a transcript:
You might be able to place into the appropriate math course by taking ARC's self-placement tool. You can get more information at 484-8423, or click for more Assessment Center information.
3. If you are currently enrolled in an equivalent course to the prerequisite at another college:
You can wait until you complete your course and your grade has been posted, and then submit a transcript to the Enrollment Services office.
For all other courses:
- You should plan to provide proof of passing prerequisite courses during the first few days of class. Prerequisites are listed in the course descriptions that are available online or at eServices. Check whether your course has any prerequisites, and be sure that you have met the prerequisites for your courses before enrolling.