Click here to Skip to main content
AskARC Logo
Counseling title banner


How to Obtain an Associate Degree

Here are the steps you need to take to obtain an Associate Degree!

1An Associate Degree is the first college degree you can earn, and it signifies the completion of 60 units of college work in General Education (GE) and courses required for a major. American River College offers Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T), and Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T). Students majoring in one of the two-year curricula and planning to graduate with the Associate Degree must complete all of the required courses for the major (from 18 to approximately 30 units plus), along with general education requirements and sufficient electives to meet a minimum total of 60 units. At least 12 of the 60 degree applicable units must be earned at American River College. Certificates vary in the number of units required. All students who wish to receive an Associate Degree from American River College must demonstrate competency in writing, reading, and mathematics.

2To graduate with an Associate Degree, you must apply for graduation by making an appointment with a counselor, who will prepare a Curriculum Planning Summary Sheet and complete a petition for graduation. The deadline to petition for graduation is generally the fifth Friday in the semester. You will need to make an appointment with a counselor to fill out the paperwork together and sign the petition before submitting it. Keep in mind we usually schedule appointments two weeks in advance, so don't wait until the last minute!

For a Certificate, obtain a Petition for Certificate from the Counseling Office and submit it to Enrollment Services; a counseling appointment is not required but is advised.

3If you have earned  your Associate Degree, make sure to participate in the annual ARC Commencement Ceremony (held each May). Celebrate your accomplishment with family and friends!

For more information on the new Associate Degrees for Transfer - the degree with a guarantee - click here.