First Time Students
Steps to Success for New Students
Congratulations on your decision to attend ARC! If you have not completed courses at another college, here are your Steps to Success:
- Apply - If you have not yet done so, enrollment at ARC begins by submitting an application online at www.arc.losrios.edu. Applications for fall and summer terms are accepted beginning February 1st; applications for spring are accepted beginning September 10th. After you apply, you will receive a "Welcome" email that includes your student ID number which you will need in order to complete the remaining steps below.
- Complete Orientation - New student orientation is offered online and you may do this from any computer. A link to the Online Orientation is provided in the "Welcome" email you receive after submitting your application. You may complete the online orientation the day after you receive the welcome email with your Los Rios student ID number. We can offer assistance with this step on the ARC main campus in the Center for Leadership & Development located in the Student Center.
- Complete Assessment/Placement - All new students are required to complete the basic skills assessments for English (reading and writing) or ESL and mathematics. Your test results assist counselors in determining appropriate course placement. Click here for the current testing calendar. Be sure to review the sample questions before you take the assessments!
- Meet with a Counselor to Create an Educational Plan (iSEP) - After you have completed Online Orientation and Assessments, you are now ready to create your student educational plan (iSEP). You will get more information about meeting with a counselor to get your iSEP after you take the ARC Assessments. If you did not receive the informational flyer with instructions about how to meet with a counselor after taking the Assessments or took them at another Los Rios college, please contact the Counseling Center (916-484-8572). Students must complete the Assessments prior to meeting with a counselor!
- Register for Classes - You will be assigned an appointment date and time to enroll online. Log into your eServices account and look for your assigned day and time in the box labeled Enrollment Appointment. You may enroll online at your scheduled time or anytime thereafter.
- Pay Enrollment Fees or Apply for BOG Fee Waiver - Fees are due at the time of enrollment. You may pay online by credit card or by cash or check in Business Services. The Board of Governors (BOG) fee waiver assists many students with fees and federal financial aid can help with other school related expenses. It is important that financial aid matters are handled as early as possible. If you need financial assistance, please do not wait until you complete the enrollment steps above before applying. It is important to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Financial Aid) as soon as you have made the decision to enroll in college. Click here for more information about Financial Aid.
Note: Steps 1 thru 4 must be completed by April 1st for summer and fall enrollment or November 1st for spring enrollment in order to receive an earlier priority registration date. After these dates, it is still important to complete all steps in order to receive priority registration in future semesters.
Non Degree/Non Certificate
Although it is strongly recommended, if you are not seeking a degree or certificate at ARC, you are not required to complete steps 3 & 4 (take assessments and develop an educational plan). Students who do not complete these steps are not eligible for future priority enrollment.