The CAST Mission
The CAST addresses behaviors that raise concern for the health and safety of individuals and the campus community through a social justice framework of assistance, prevention, proactive support and empowerment for student success.
Essential functions to support the mission:
- Provide a structure for an effective method of identifying behaviors that impact the health, wellness and success of students.
- Determine the appropriate tools, resources, or support mechanisms to respond to all referrals and ultimately prevent isolated and patterned behaviors from escalating.
- Create an established protocol and transparent referral process for incidents of concern.
- Collect information from the campus community about individuals who demonstrate, through current or past behavior, conduct or expression that may pose a risk to themselves or the campus community.
- Evaluate the nature of and respond to all referrals made to this group.
- Coordinate resources and follow-up communication to ensure a comprehensive response plan.
- Promote campus health, wellness and student success by fostering a culture of empowerment, support and intervention.
- Inform training and professional development opportunities around topics of health, wellness and student success.
- Assess, evaluate and evolve team functions and protocol as best practices are identified and refined.