Tutor's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why Become a Beacon Tutor?
- To share your knowledge with other students and help them get better grades.
- To learn the subject better.
- To develop greater self-confidence and learn how to manage a group.
- To add work experience to your resume.
- To make new friends.
- To earn money!
How much are tutors paid?
- $11.00 per hour, as of January 1, 2018
- $ 12.00 per hour, as of January 1, 2019 (projected)
Your job as a tutor will require three to five hours per week as follows:
- Meet with your group every week.
- Meet with your instructor every week. Any combination of face-to-face and/or email correspondence is acceptable.
- Prepare each week for your session(s).
Interested? What's Next?
- Received an A or B in the course you want to tutor at ARC.
- Ask your instructor if he or she would like to have a Beacon tutor.
- Enroll in LRC 310: Introduction to Group Tutoring
(1-unit, first 8-week hybrid course)
- Attend the mandatory orientation:
Friday, January 25, 2019, 2:00 - 3:20p.m.
Learning Resource Center, room 104
- Enroll in a minimum of six units at ARC.