Why Study in Barcelona?
Located on the western shores of the Mediterranean Sea, Barcelona is the capital of Catalonia and second largest city in Spain, with an urban area population of 4.5 million people. Its more than 2,000 years of history as a center of trade and culture have left their mark on the city's architectural, artistic, and cultural heritage. Said to be the most cosmopolitan city in Spain, it's not surprising that Barcelona has become one of Europe's most popular venues for Study Abroad students, with its many café terraces, its 50 museums to choose from (including some that house Picasso and Miró), its narrow medieval streets in the Gothic Quarter, its plazas, theaters and concerts, its beaches, and, perhaps most colorful of all, its whimsical architectural creations of Antoni Gaudí, including his iconic Sagrada Familia.
HIGHLIGHTS OF BARCELONA
- Open to students age 18 and older who have graduated from high school and have completed 12 units of college course work with a minimum 2.25-grade point average.
- Optional flight transportation package; accommodations in either a fully furnished apartment with kitchen or in a homestay.
- Take lower division courses that are transferable for Bachelor's degree credit.
- Program includes an orientation program and half-day guided tour of Barcelona, a travel pass for use on buses and the metro in the central zone, an Articket pass, a day excursion to Figueres and the Dalí Museum, and subsidized cultural activities such as trips to museums, historical and cultural sites, theater and dance, and sporting events.
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAM?
This program is offered to enable students to study abroad while making normal progress toward their degree objectives and earning fully transferable units in courses taught by community college faculty and guest lecturers. This program is offered in cooperation with several California community colleges and with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), which arranges transportation, living accommodations, and a wide range of student and instructional support services. Students need not be currently enrolled at one of the sponsoring colleges in order to participate. Units earned in Barcelona will appear on transcripts issued by the participating colleges.
Study abroad is a life-changing and transformative experience for many students, affecting their social and cultural awareness of the world. Below are 10 reasons to inspire you to study abroad from the Institute of International Education:
- Learn more about yourself and become more self-aware
- Boost your self-confidence and independence
- Learn another language
- Learn more about your own country by going to another
- Expand your worldview
- Strengthen adaptability, communications, and team building skills
- Enhance your career opportunities
- Experience another culture firsthand and enhance your cross-cultural competency
- Make new friends from around the world
The Links below are from the Fall 2017 trip. NEw Documents will be linked when we receive them!
|AIFS Pre Departure
|Apply to this
PROGRAM COSTS/FINANCIAL AID/SCHOLARSHIPS
- Program Fees and What Is Included (PDF) Coming Soon!
- See Fall 2017 Fees for an example of costs.
AIFS REFUND DATES
Refund requests must be done in writing to AIFS. They accept emails and that is generally the easiest way (email@example.com). See official AIFS refund policy on your Agreement & Release form on AIFS application. Dates to remember regarding AIFS refunds once you are enrolled in the program:
- TBD: Last day to request refund of $450 deposit less $150 processing & non-refundable deposit fees.
- After TBD, AIFS will not refund any of the $450 deposit.
- TBD: Total program fee is due. NO REFUND OF PAYMENTS after this date.
Barcelona Fall 2019 Classes
The links below are for the Spring 2018 Program. The Spring 2019 files will be uploaded when they are available.`
|Chart of Class
and Bios (PDF)
* All students will take at least 4 classes. Everyone is required to take the Spanish Life & Culture class and at least one other class offered through their home school, and then any two others:
CONTRA COSTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT / TBD
LOS RIOS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT / TBD
SAN MATEO COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT / TBD
SANTA ROSA JUNIOR COLLEGE / TBD
*Student must enroll in the Spanish Life, Culture and Language course offered by the campus that processes their program application. This class is the same class for all four schools.
BARCELONA FALL 2019 APPLICATION PROCESS
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR LOS RIOS'S STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM
To apply for the Florence Study Abroad Program, the student must have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 and have completed at least 12 transferable college units at the time the student applies. In addition, the student must be 18 years of age at the time of boarding the airplane. Students who do not meet these minimum qualifications should refer to the information about Provisional Student Enrollment below.Applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis and because classes have limited enrollment, students are encouraged to apply early in order to reserve a spot in the classes of their choice.
FORMS TO BRING TO YOUR APPOINTMENT WITH LOS RIOS'S STUDY ABROAD OFFICE
Once you have applied online through AIFS, you will be contacted by Los Rios Study Abroad Office for an appointment. Please fill out the forms below and bring them to your appointment:
1. Student Emergency Contact Information - Coming Soon
2. Los Rios Waiver of Risk Form - Coming Soon
3. Consortium Waiver Form - Coming Soon
4. Course Preference Sheet - Coming Soon!
In addition, you will need to bring your Passport and a copy of your college transcript (unofficial is fine).