Los Rios Study Abroad Program
Los Rios Study Abroad Office
The purpose of International Education in the Los Rios District is to offer a variety of programs and services that will provide students, faculty, and the community at large with the knowledge, skills, and cultural experiences necessary to become well prepared members of a global society. Additionally, the international education programs in the Los Rios Community college District promote and encourage the internationalization of the college by fostering mutual understanding, facilitating preparation for the world of work, and supporting lifelong learning through activities that provide opportunities for participation in the international community.
Full Semester Programs
Students take regular community college classes in English from professors in the consortium of four California community college districts:
- Contra Costa Community College (Contra Costa College, Diablo Valley College, and Los Medanos College)
- Los Rios Community College District (American River College, Cosumnes River College, Folsom Lake College, and Sacramento City College)
- San Mateo Community College District (College of San Mateo, Skyline College, and Cañada College)
- Sonoma County Junior College District (Santa Rosa Junior College)
One professors from each district is selected to teach courses for each study abroad location. This provides the opportunity for students to take a full load of courses (taught in English from American professors) in the semester that they are studying abroad. All of the courses are transfer level, approved to transfer to UC and CSU schools, and many will meet General Education requirements. This allows students continue to make progress toward their graduation and transfer goals.
The basic requirements to be accepted into the program are:
- You must be at least 18 years of age or older
- You must be a student in good academic standing with 12 college units completed by the time you go abroad
- You need to have a minimum overall GPA of 2.25 in your college classes. During the thirteen week semester program, all students take 12 units in the Study Abroad program, a three unit Life and Culture class, one other Los Rios class and then two other classes from the list of offerings.
SUMMER TERM: LONDON, ENGLAND
SUMMER TERM: FLORENCE, ITALY
See Professor Wrightson's page for more information