Strategic Plan and Achieving the Dream 2017-21
Thank you to all those in the ARC community who participated in the recent activities: guest speaker Tim Wise on Nov. 2 and the college- wide summit on Nov. 3. Your engagement and involvement is appreciated! If you were not able to participate, don't worry - there will be more opportunities to learn about our new strategic plan and also share your thoughts. You can always email firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
President Thomas Greene's PowerPoint presentation at the Nov. 3 summit is now available as a PDF document. Please take a few minutes to review this presentation, as it has important data related to why ARC is going through a redesign process.
Transform the future of all students and our community through inclusive, equitable education.
American River College places students first in providing an academically rich, inclusive environment that inspires critical thinking, learning and achievement, and responsible participation in the community.
American River College, serving the greater Sacramento region, offers education and support for students to strengthen basic skills, earn associate degrees and certificates, transfer to other colleges and universities, and achieve career as well as other academic and personal goals.
Our Commitment to Social Justice and Equity
American River College strives to uphold the dignity and humanity of every student and employee. We are committed to equity and social justice through equity-minded education, transformative leadership, and community engagement. We believe this commitment is essential to achieving our mission and enhancing our community.
1. Students First - The College engages and connects students early and often to people, programs, and services as an integrated educational experience. By providing personalized, proactive support, the College fosters relationships that ensure all students, particularly the historically underserved and marginalized, persist, learn, and succeed.
2. Clear and Effective Paths - The College provides easily recognizable pathways to, through, and beyond ARC. Offering well defined and supported pathways provides a foundation for success as students enter the College, make timely progress toward achieving their informed educational goals, and seamlessly transfer to other colleges and universities or find employment in their chosen career.
3. Exemplary Teaching, Learning & Working Environment - The College ensures an equitable, safe, and inclusive teaching, learning, and working environment. Culturally relevant curriculum, innovative, high- quality instructional methods and technologies, exemplary academic and student support services, and comprehensive and integrated professional development create the best conditions for teaching and learning. The College promotes liberation and honors the dignity, humanity, and contributions of all members of our community.
4. Vibrancy and Resiliency - The College promotes a culture of innovation, entrepreneurship, sustainability, and transparent communication. Proactive, effective, and efficient operational systems and governance and data-informed approaches to planning, decision-making, and resource allocation provide a high level of service to our students, community, and to one another.
Over the last couple of years, the college has taken a hard look at what it will take to significantly improve the outcomes of all of our students. Through this dynamic process, we concluded that such improvements can only happen through a fundamental redesign of our students' experience.
The college joined Achieving the Dream to support and assist us as we embarked on this redesign effort, the official launch of which has been the development of a new strategic plan. This planning process has included multiple college wide summits as part of gathering input from across the institution. The participation and engagement has been outstanding - there is clearly momentum for redesigning our students' experience. As part of ARC's participation in Achieving the Dream, the college prepared an Action Plan, which is available as a PDF document.
ARC President Thomas Greene has developed two videos for you to watch (clicking on the links below will open a new window to YouTube):
- A Fall 2017 back-to-school welcome message with an update on the plan
- A Spring 2017 overview of the background for the plan