What to Expect From Your Tutoring Session
What It's Like
Peer tutoring (drop-in and by appointment formats) is offered in the fall and spring terms, and service is free of charge. Peer tutors are students who have received training and completed the courses they tutor with a grade of "B" or better.
Tutors are recommended and approved by an ARC faculty member. Your peer tutor is trained to coach you and give you tools to learn your subject and assist you in solving its problems yourself.
When Should I Use Tutoring?
- When you are struggling with a concept
- When you are trying to assess how deeply you comprehend the material
- When you feel stuck on problem-solving
How Should I Use Tutoring?
To get the most out of your time with a tutor, prepare ahead for the session. The tutor will ask what you want to work on, so come knowing what you want to accomplish with the tutor. You might come...
- To work through a question on a problem set
- To review for a test
- To talk through a concept you covered in lecture, lab, or reading
- To organize class material and create study tools