POLS 301 Online - Required Resources
Los Rios Gmail:
All communication is sent to your Los Rios Gmail account. Be sure to check your Los Rios Gmail account regularly or set up forwarding to another email address. If you are not familiar with the Los Rios Gmail, you can review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), including how to set up forwarding.
Los Rios Canvas:
The use of the Los Rios eLearning system Canvas is required.
To get to know about Canvas, view the self-paced Canvas Student Tour which contains a series of short videos designed to help you learn how to use Canvas. Videos can be viewed in any order. Total viewing time for all videos is approximately 35 minutes. You can also take a quick tour of the Canvas Student Getting Started Guide.
Access to one web-based textbook ("webtext") with interactive exercises must be purchased by each individual student. The text is titled Central Ideas in American Government (CIAG) and is published by Soomo Learning. Access to the text will be integrated into the class website on Canvas and therefore will only become available on the first day of instruction. Details about how to purchase access and use the text will be covered during our first class session.
- For a preview of the text and a demonstration of its features, you can go to a test drive of Central Ideas in American Government right now to check it out. But remember, this is only a demo. You will need to purchase access to our class-specific version of the text once the class starts.
- A written user guide and a video user guide are also available.
- Once the class begins, you may purchase access online directly from the publisher, Soomo Learning, with a credit or debit card or with a PassKey purchased at the ARC Beaver Bookstore. The cost to purchase the PassKey is a little more than purchasing direct.
- The online resources for my classes are not necessarily designed to be worked on exclusively using mobile devices (for example, a smartphone or an iPad or the equivalent). Regular and reliable access to a desktop or laptop computer with internet access is expected. Enrolled students with a Student Access Card may use computers available for class work at any Los Rios campus. At ARC the Learning Resource Center (LRC) and the ARC Library provide these services. Public libraries are also a possible resource.
- Because my classes make use of a variety of resources available online, it is important that your web browser and computer are compatible with Canvas and the CIAG Webtext features and that you are equipped with up to date versions of some popular software programs, media readers and players, and plug-ins.