PSYC 356 ONLINE BOVARD
All students are required to complete an online orientation on the first day of class--there are NO in class meetings. Students who do not complete the orientation will be dropped and his or her seat will be given to a student on the waiting list. If you have difficulty logging on to the course site, you must e-mail me and contact the eLearning Help Desk for assistance before the deadline above to avoid being dropped.
This course will be delivered on CANVAS. It will not open until the first day of class. You should be receiving an email from your instructor a few days before classes start.
- Los Rios Help Desk
(916) 568-3012 or (855) 321-3232 - toll free Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 6:00pm (except District holidays)
If you are on the waiting list:
I anticipate being able to add most of the students from my waiting list. Those students will be given permission numbers to add the class in the order that they appear on the list, as vacancies become available. If you are on the waiting list, check your Los Rios email every day the week BEFORE classes start to receive your permission number.
Once you are given your permission number, you must use it immediately. You will not show up in the course until the following day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need an access code for my textbook?
- YES. We will be using the REVEL version, which is an ebook.
- Textbook:Human Sexuality 4th Edition REVEL ACCESS
Roger R. Hock, Ph.D., Mendocino College
IMPORTANT NOTE: You must have the "REVEL ACCESS" for all of my PSYC 356 sections. This is an interactive ebook and my students have really been loving it! If you would still like a "hard copy" (it can be nice because it is portable) you can purchase one from Pearson for $20. However, you MUST have REVEL right away. Pearson WILL give you two weeks free access. After that time, you will need to purchase access. You can get the book from the bookstore OR from Pearson directly!
What time will our class "meet" online?
- This class is asynchronous, which means that you can set your own hours to work online. We will never "meet online" at a specific time.
- There will be deadlines for assignments and exams. You may work on them anytime, as long as you complete them by the date specified.
When do I need to be on campus?
- Unless you are taking other courses at American River College, you will not need to made trips to campus for this class. Some students even live outside of California.
The class is full, as is the waiting list. Can I still add your class?
- Sadly, online classes fill very fast-frequently before priority registration has ended.
- I am required to take students from the waiting list FIRST ·
- Once waitlisted students have been added, I MAY be able to take a few more. However, I will never take any new students after the first week of class.
- This course is delivered completely on the college learning management system, which is Canvas.
- You will have a twenty-four hour window to take your exam. You may take your exam at anytime during that window.
- Each exam WILL have a time limit in which you must complete it.
- No. Each week I will release materials which must be completed during a specified time frame.
- During that week, assignments may be completed at any time, but must be finished by the due date specified.
- Exams will be available on scheduled exam dates only.
- No, but it would be most convenient if you did.
- There are computers available for use on campus in the Learning Resource Center, and at many public libraries.
- A smart phone is not smart enough to use for this course. Students may use their phones to complete REVEL assignments, but it will NOT be acceptable to use it for exams in Canvas.
- It is very important to me that we DO communicate-a lot!
- We will utilize e-mail, discussion boards, and our class site.
- You may contact me through e-mail, voice mail, or virtual office hours (which utilize Instant Messaging).
- You will not only be communicating with me, you will also be communicating with each other!
- It is very important to me that you feel as though you are participating in a class-not working in isolation.