Click here to Skip to main content
AskARC Logo
Campus building

Los Rios Community College District Residency Reclassification Instructions

Students requesting reclassification of their residency status to California resident must complete the attached application. State requirements to become a California resident are described in the California Education Code and California Code of Regulations (Title 5).

Under California law, to be reclassified from a non-resident to a California resident, a student must clearly demonstrate:

1. Physical presence in California,
2. Intent to reside in California permanently, and
3. Financial independence, if the student was classified as non-resident in a preceding term.

Physical presence in the State of California for one year does not automatically qualify a student as a California resident. To be eligible for California residency, you must:

1. Be a U.S. citizen or hold a U.S. Immigration status that does not prevent establishment of residency. The following visa status holders CANNOT establish residency: B-1, B-2, C, D-1, D-2, F-1, F-2, H-2, H-3, J-1, J-2, M-1, M-2, O-2, P-1, P-2, P-3, P-4, Q and TN/TD.
2. Verify physical presence in California for one year and one day prior to the first day of instruction for the semester (the residency determination date).
3. Clearly verify intent to make California your permanent place of residence.
4. Establish financial independence from a non-resident parent or guardian.

NOTE: Students may also qualify for California residency under certain Exceptions to General Residency Regulations.

Establishing Residency
A student must establish his/her own residency. A student's residency cannot be derived from his/her spouse or domestic partner.

Students under 19 years of age and unmarried derive California residency from their parents. The parents must meet the eligibility requirements and provide required documentation demonstrating physical presence in California and intent to make California their permanent residence. Documents showing the relationship may be required.  Students 19 years of age or older generally may not derive residency from a parent.

AB-540 Non-Resident Exemption
California non-residents who have graduated from a California high school (or attained a California GED or equivalent) and attended a California high school for at least three years may qualify for the AB540 non-resident tuition exemption. Please ask Admissions and Records office for more information (916) 484-8261.


Ten Things You Should Know About California Residency

Residency Documentation

Residency Reclassification Request Form

Exceptions to Residency Regulations

AB-540 Exemption