1st Week Tips - Your Moment Has Arrived!
Here are some tips to help you get your moment - your semester - off to a great start.
1st Day Moments
- Driving? Arrive at least one hour early to find parking.
- Your patience is appreciated, as there will be long lines in various locations. Our goal is to serve you to the best of our ability, so please hang in there!
- Do not miss the first class session - you risk being dropped!
- If you are having trouble logging into the campus WiFi network or have questions about Canvas, visit the Student Tech Center inside the Learning Resource Center.
- Do not park in staff parking - you will be cited.
- Don't be shy - ask questions and get the help you need.
- Take care of yourself - Bring food/snacks in case you do not have time between classes to wait in lines for food; also stay hydrated.
- Purchase your books during the first week of classes or as soon as possible. If you can't purchase your books, ask your instructor if they can place a copy of the book on file at the reference desk in the library.
- Read your course syllabus the first week, to become familiar with add/drop deadlines. If necessary, add/drop your courses by those deadlines (the academic calendar has a full list of dates).
- If you no longer want to take a class, you must drop the class. Do not expect that an instructor will drop you from a class. If you do not drop a course you no longer want, it can affect your Financial Aid and/or GPA. The refund application is online.
- Check your class schedule for locations: ARC Main campus, Natomas, McClellan, etc. Do not assume that your classes meet at the main campus.
- There are two locations to pay fees, pick up your parking permit, etc.: Business Services in the Administration Building and, for the first week of school, eServices in the Student Center.
- Get a campus map
If you are waitlisted:
- Go to all classes you are waitlisted for - and be on time.
- Don't purchase books until you are enrolled in the course. The bookstore website has more information on textbooks.
If you get into the class:
- Most classes will require a permission number from the instructor to get into a class, if you are on the waitlist or trying to add. Go to class and get that number, so you can get into the class. If you are already enrolled in a class, you do not need a permission number.
For more waitlist tips, click here.
Additional Info for January 2018
Due to upcoming construction all classrooms and labs in the Liberal Arts area have now moved to the new Computer Math Complex (CMC) behind the Student Center in parking lot B.
- The classes are listed in your Class Schedule as "ARC Main CMC" (i.e. ARC Main CMC 402).
- Science & CMC 400s - both CMC and Science area classroom numbers have been duplicated. Please check your class schedule to verify if the class location is Science or CMC.
Credit cards are now accepted at all daily parking permit machines located in each parking lot.
If you have an immediate need for a semester parking decal do not purchase one online through the eServices Student Center. Parking decals purchased through eServices will be mailed and this can take up to two weeks. Parking by semester decal or daily parking permit is enforced 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days out of the year. Parking decals can be purchased at the Business Services office.