Digital Repair and Upgrade Technician Certificate
This certificate combines basic electronics theory and application with computer repair and support skills. Topics including high-tech soldering along with component and system level electronics are focused on in the electrical area. Computer repair skills and support are covered in the computer area.
This certificate prepares the student for a wide variety of jobs in the computer industry such as network communication cable installer, interface troubleshooter, and fiber optic installer.
Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- apply the rules of electrical safety for working with personal computers and associated equipment.
- describe the terminology used for working with personal computers.
- categorize the components inside a personal computer.
- upgrade and install new and updated software programs.
- research and download updated system drivers from the Internet.
- compare and evaluate solder connections in accordance with industry standards.
- evaluate operational characteristics of electronic components and devices operating under normal and abnormal conditions.
- differentiate resistance, capacitance and inductive devices and their operating characteristics.
- analyze and troubleshoot basic electronic circuits.
- research and interpret basic electronic components using manufacturers' data manuals, library resources, and the Internet.
Course List: Required Program
CISC 320 Operating Systems 1
CISC 361 Microcomputer Support Essentials - Preparation for A+ Certification 3 Units
CISC 363 Microcomputer Support Technical - Preparation for A+ Certification 3 Units
ET 253 Industrial Communication Systems Support 4 Units
ET 298 Work Experience in Electronics Technology 1 - 4 Units
ET 308 Technical Soldering Practices and Techniques 2 Units
Total Units: 14 - 17