Biomedical Equipment Technology Certificate
This certificate covers the theory, operation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and certification of biomedical equipment used in hospitals, medical device manufacturers, or other service organizations. It includes an in-depth study of frequently used medical equipment.
Gainful employment information
This program prepares electronics technology students for a biomedical technician internship or trainee position.
Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- evaluate the data from basic preventive maintenance tests on the following equipment: multi-parameter physiological monitor, electrocardiogram (ECG) machine, blood pressure monitor, defibrillator, pulse oximeter, infusion pump, and electrosurgical unit.
- distinguish and list various medical imaging technologies.
- set up standard electrical measurement tools and differentiate the uses for calibration and troubleshooting of medical equipment.
- set up the following equipment: multi-parameter physiological monitor, ECG machine, blood pressure monitor, defibrillator, pulse oximeter, infusion pump, and electrosurgical unit.
- categorize biopotentials and electrodes as they relate to basic human anatomy and physiology systems.
- associate the applicable regulation with the regulating organizations.
- list and compare the different types of bioelectric amplifiers, signal processing circuits, and isolation circuits.
- compare and contrast the protocols for working in the operating room and special care units in the hospital.
Course List: Required Program
ET 302 Principles of Electricity and Electronics 4 Units
ET 312 Mathematics for Circuit Analysis 3 Units
ET 322 Semiconductors and Nanotechnology (4) 4 Units
or ET 335 Integrated Circuits with Computer Applications (4)
or ET 380 Introduction to Electronic Communications (4)
ET 425 Introduction to Biomedical Equipment Technology 4 Units
ET 426 Advanced Biomedical Equipment Technology 4 Units
A minimum of 1 unit from the following: 1 Unit
ET 260 Introduction to Medical Ultrasound Equipment 0.5 Units
ET 261 Introduction to Biomedical Equipment Networking 0.5 Units
ET 262 Introduction to Respiratory Therapy Ventilators 0.5 Units
ET 263 Introduction to Medical X-ray Imaging Equipment 1 Units
Total Units: 20