Click here to Skip to main content
AskARC Logo



Child Development Permits

Child Drawing Airplane

Sun Bullet Are you ready to become a teacher of young children?

Sun Bullet Do you already teach young children in the pre-kindergarten years but not yet hold a Child Development Permit?

Sun Bullet Or are you ready to upgrade your Child Development Permit?


If your answer is "yes" to any of the above, read on and discover how you can achieve your goal as a student or graduate of the American River College Department of Early Childhood Education.


Four easy steps to
A Child Development Permit at
American River College

Steps for applying a Child Development Permit 

Child Development Permits are issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for teaching at the pre-kindergarten level.

  1. File for an American River College Early Childhood Education Certificate that leads to a Child Development Permit, with the expectation of completing the required coursework by the semester end.
  2. Pick up a Child Development Permit application from the Lower Library from any ECE faculty member.
  3. Complete the application, which includes a Livescan fingerprint approval, and meet with any of these professors to have them review your application: Alina Cervantes, Lorraine Chow, Jan DeLapp, Marie Jones, Anne Kress, Mary Jane Maguire-Fong, or Dixie Thomas. Check for monthly permit processing sessions or make an appointment.
  4. Submit your application to the Child Development Training Consortium. The Child Development Training Consortium operates a state-funded project that will cover the application fee for many Child Development Permits. Your Early Childhood Education faculty advisor will help you determine whether your application may be included in this project.