Transfer and Challenge Process
Transfer students are those who have successfully completed some portion of their core nursing courses in an accredited nursing program. Admittance is based on space availability. Students who wish to transfer into the second, third, or fourth semester of the ARC nursing program must contact the department office by email at ARCN@losrios.edu
In addition, transfer students should be aware that the ARC Nursing Program:
- Has a very low attrition rate. There is rarely space for transferring students. Second and third semester transfers are the most difficult to obtain. Priorities for admission are detailed in the ARC Nursing Student Handbook.
- May have different sequence of nursing specialty courses (obstetrics, pediatrics, and psychiatry) from the transfer college. This may result in repetition of one or more semesters of study.
- Allows students only one year out of active nursing school enrollment to be considered for transfer. Students who exceed this timeframe must apply to the nursing program as a new student.
- Will evaluate all prerequisite and co-requisite course work for equivalency, including achievement of the required grade point averages in the sciences and support courses (see "Credit for Prerequisite Course Work" below).
- Does not require challenge examinations for nursing theory or clinical practice. Transfer students will be given credit for nursing course work after the department has reviewed course descriptions, transcripts, and skills lists.
Credit for Prerequisite Course Work
All nursing students including transfer or advanced placement students must meet the prerequisites for program entry. Students may satisfy the prerequisites through a variety of college procedures:
- Course Substitution: Students who have prerequisite course work in California should check the "ARC Nursing Program Articulation Grid" on the ARC Nursing Program website. Courses on this grid are approved as equivalent, comparable, or acceptable substitutes to the pre/co-requisites for the ARC Nursing Program.
- Petition for Course Substitution: Students who have completed pre/co-requisite course work not listed in the articulation grid or who have completed course work outside of California will need to complete a petition for substitution. This process begins with a visit to an ARC counselor. Counseling appointments may be made by calling (916) 484-8572.
- Credit by Examination: Under special circumstances students may seek credit for course work by examination. This option is not applicable to all courses. Students interested in credit by examination should consult the dean of the appropriate area (e.g., for psychology course work the student would contact the dean of Behavioral and Social Sciences). Further restrictions apply to this option; details are found in the ARC Catalog.