Kinship Care Classes
Are you a grandparent, aunt, uncle, older sibling, or cousin
raising a child who has temporarily or permanently lost their parents?
You are not alone...Grandparents or non-parent relatives care for well over one million California children.
The greatest reward to your being a parenting grandparent or relative caregiver is in knowing that a child is safe and cared for within your family. In spite of this, there are some challenges you may face:
- Changes in lifestyle and routines
- Financial struggles
- Changes in family relationships
- Dealing with feelings of isolation, grief, anger, fear and frustration
- Lack of child care and respite care services
- Lack of information on legal and community resources
- Health problems caused by the pressures of parenting responsibilities
"My husband and I are retired. We had planned to spend some time with our grandchildren. We did not expect to have them all of the time... We are parenting
four of our grandchildren. This has caused a big adjustment for us."