Click here to Skip to main content
AskARC Logo
English-Education Title banner



Frequently Asked English Education Questions

Q. What pathways are available to teaching in the Sacramento Region?

Traditional teacher preparation programs require that you obtain a bachelor's degree and then apply to a teacher credential program, which will take an additional 2-3 semesters of coursework and student teaching to obtain your teaching credential. In addition to BA in any subject, completion of subject matter competency, CBEST, 2.7 GPA, experience with target population. Time for full-time student: 5+ years.


Q: What role does the community college play in teacher preparation?

All lower division coursework can be completed at a Los Rios college. The teacher preparation program at the Los Rios colleges is designed to provide for seamless transfer to California State University Sacramento (CSUS).


Q: Is the traditional CSUS Liberal Studies option still available?

Yes. If you have some coursework already completed at a Los Rios college and you are interested in becoming a teacher, see a counselor to determine which pathway to teaching option is best for you.


Q: What if I already have a college degree? Do I then need to enter this program to earn my credential?

If you already have a degree, the traditional 5th year of education and student teaching through CSUS or another four-year college or university is the best path for you to follow. Contact a counselor at CSUS or another credentialing for more information.


Q: How do I apply for financial aid at Los Rios or CSUS?

All colleges have financial aid offices that offer support for students. Many students qualify for financial aid who never even apply. The deadline dates are very early, however, and students need to have all forms submitted by March 1 for the following school year. See your financial aid officer for details well in advance of March 1.


Q: Are there any other courses I can take while I am attending a Los Rios Community College?
As part of every credential program, students take four courses in an "area of concentration." The most common ones are Human Development, Social Sciences, Math, and English. You may be able to take one or more of those courses at a LRCC. Check with your advisor at CSUS before assuming a course will work and signing up for it.


Q: What are the requirements to begin the Professional Phase (Credential Program) at CSUS?
You will begin the professional phase after you have finished about 60 units of undergraduate work, and to gain admittance, you must have:

Q: When will I do my student teaching and how does it work?
You will do your student teaching when you complete your BA, and it lasts for two/three semesters. You will be assigned to an elementary school, and you will work extensively with a master teacher who will encourage and guide you.


Q: What are all the tests I have to take before I can get a credential?
Besides the normal exams you take as part of every class, you can expect to take a number of exams before you earn your credential through CSUS.


Q: What do I do if I decide that I want to teach at a high school instead of elementary?
Once you have a credential it is easy to add on a second credential by taking additional credential course work. High school teachers have a single subject credential as opposed to the multiple subject credential that elementary teachers have. To earn this kind of credential, you must pass the subject matter examination in the subject area you wish to teach, such as math, English, history or Spanish.


Q: I have heard that many new teachers drop out of the profession during the first 5 years. Why?
This phenomenon was a severe problem for the teaching profession a few years ago, and many changes have been enacted to counteract it:


Q: Can I teach with an emergency credential?
A few years ago, when the teacher shortage was especially severe, many districts were hiring people without credentials to teach in their schools. Now, however, with an increase in the supply of teachers, such practices are becoming very rare.


Q: Do I have to take geometry before I can take Math 310?
If you did not take and pass geometry in high school, you will have to take it in college. If you can show a high school transcript with geometry, you do not have to take it.
Q: Does everybody have to take the Intermediate Algebra class before taking Math 310?
No, some students do not have to take Intermediate Algebra. If you have a very strong math background, do well on the math placement test, you can bypass the prerequisite and move directly on to Math 310. Talk to your counselor if you think you qualify.