Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
Click on the ACCT 160 and 161 link on the left to get information about the course in which you will help taxpayers complete and file their federal and California income tax returns.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program at American River College is run by faculty and students at American River College with the assistance of the Internal Revenue Service and the Franchise Tax Board. We have run this program at American River College since approximately 2003. Students who prepare the returns have completed at least one tax course and have passed an IRS qualifying exam.
Taxpayers who qualify can have their federal and California income tax returns prepared and electronically filed free. If your income from wages, retirement or other sources is less than $54,000, you can qualify. *Please see the list below for taxpayers that we cannot assist.
There are two tabs to the left of this page. When and where provides the dates we will be open to help prepare tax returns and where you should go. What to bring advises what documents you need to have for us to help.
Expanded options for getting help
We have three options you can select from in getting tax help.
- Appointments. We prefer and primarily use the appointment system but will take some walk-ins. You can make an appointment and you will rarely have to wait. Walk-ins can be helped but there could be a long wait. We will do our best to tell you how long you will need to wait for service. Appointments can be arranged by calling our phone number which is listed below, or by sending an email. Calling or emailing will leave us a message and we will get back with you to arrange a date and time. Please do not call or email prior to the appointment start date as we will delete everything received too early.
- Drop off/Pick up. Come to our site with all of your documentation and complete a 15 minute interview with one of our tax assistors. You can then leave the information with us and we will complete your tax returns. We will contact you to arrange a review of the returns before they are submitted to the Internal Revenue Service and the California Franchise Tax Board. Any information provided to us will be properly secured.
- Do it yourself. If you have wanted to learn how to complete and file the tax returns, you can make an appointment and then come to our site where we will provide you with a computer, tax preparation software, and a qualified tax assistor to sit with you and guide you through the process.
Kristina Pehur, CPA
|Phone:||Appointment function is only open from January 20 to March 10, 2018. After January 20, for appointments call: 916.286.3691 box 12334. After the brief recorded message, wait for the prompt "if you know the box number", then follow the instructions and leave your name an phone number and someone will call back within 48 hours. Or, send an email to email@example.com starting January 20 and someone will get back to you.|
*Unfortunately we cannot assist the following taxpayers:
- Married filing separately
- Doesn't have a SSN card or TIN document
- Self-employed taxpayers with expenses greater than $5,000 or more or taxpayers with sales of assets of $5,000 or more; Schedule C with loss, depreciation or business use of home.
- Rental income
- Casualty loss
- Self-employed health coverage deductions
- Taxpayers who may qualify for the health coverage tax credit
- Individuals having a dual status for the tax year
- Form 1099-INT, box labeled Specified private activity bond interest if AMT applies
- Certain children with unearned income who must file Form 8615
- Tax returns for ministers and members of the clergy